Thursday, September 4, 2014

"Gear"-ing Up For The SkyRift



Well, I am ogetting nearer to the finish line with my new book, and have decided to go forward with beta readers, as they agree, of course. Also, I will be calling the ebook The SkyRift (TSR). Due to the people's choice regarding my writing focus for NaNoWriMo, I will be pulling Dr. Lee from TSR as a main character. She will be in TSR, but her story will be told in her own book, in the month of November as I write it. I am really happy about this, as I had originally set out to write about Jim Harper. But, I really wanted to set the story in an alternate American West where the Chinese had discovered the Pacific coast of the Americas decades before Columbus. And that is where the conscientious part of me kicked in. I did not stop to think of the implications of the world I was building. Having a territory that is established by China would change everything! So, I've had to hit the research and create something that not only feels 'real' to me, but rings true to readers. I turned to a writer/blogger who writes steakpunk in a post-colonialist focus. She'll remain anonymous for now as I have not asked permission to mention her (and who knows, she may not want to be connected to my book). But, she gave me a lot to think on. Some of these pointers are embarrassingly basic.

Anyway, I am contacting beta readers now to ask them for help, so that TSR can make "all you dreams come true" (embellishment alert).

By the way, The SkyRift is going to need reviews from the outset, so please let me know if any of you want an advanced copy and I will provide one at the cost of a review. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment