Friday, October 3, 2014

The Harrowing Tale of the Mundane.



I've never really been a fan of puzzles. But, once in while, the puzzle that is my life has another piece lock firmly into place. And whether I acknowledge it or not, it is for the better. Yep, I know that the word better needs an appropriate context. But, conflict in any setting, is the gym for the soul. I can use it properly, or improperly. I can be better after my various staccatoed stints to visit conflict, healthier, or I may have possibly pulled something, herniated something, or just chosen not to work out.

The problem with choosing not to use the conflict to become a better version of myself, is the same reason I have never found sunken treasure: I have never hunted for sunken treasure. There is sunken treasure hidden for me, not from me. There exists within reach the wealth of life, love, art and health, but it does not come without the price of the treasure hunt itself. In fact, the value of treasure is realized only in this process. I once heard, "Nothing good can come from money that you did not earn." 

In the same way, healthy thought processes and emotions are not those left unbattered or unbattled. They are healthy because they are measured, weighed, tested and rebuilt. I worked for it. Fought for it. Bled for it. I invested in it and may not see the results until I am distanced from the conflict that was used to develop it.

I keep this in mind as I create characters for our stories. I don't flinch to put my protagonist in a pickle because of the reward. And it is important as I fight the day in, day out battle of my story.

Sometimes, working out that puzzle is just what I need to slow down and focus on the most important part of that puzzle: The next piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment