Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Distracted.


The catch for writing in volume is making time, and then to make that time count. I think that I can pump out a thousand words in about an hour, if I have a pretty good idea what it is that I am about to write. And that is the trick. Having in my mind's eye what it is that I am about to write.

Now, I am really good at daydreaming. As a child, I daydreamed my way through life, ignorant of the people and places around me. As an adult, that sort of inner-brain dwelling is not a desired attribute among employers and friends. So, discipline is utilized to make sure that happening at appropriate times. It can be excellent for writing, however. I have been practicing writing under some pretty distracting circumstances. I will write, for instance, in family common areas. Talk about interruptions. Among the loud discussions, the clamor and my youngest one's desire for me to chase her through the house, I find that I am able to keep my train of thought focused on the writing at hand. More and more. Whether it is any good will be up to the reader to decide.

The next part is what happens between writing sessions. How I think and what I think about during the down time. That has been more of a challenge. Sitting still and simply breathing is conducive to the idea process. A phrase simply preempts a larger idea and turns character focus in a new or more interesting direction. Those phrases typically develop within the context of these silent times. I highly recommend them.

I am looking into primitive functional movement (Not necessarily the guy in the video) for health. I have only begun to research this so, I'll shut up about it for now. However, physical health, good eating, rest and exercise are essential to mental and emotional well-being. And that is from where so many great ideas come.

And now, back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment