Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Nanowrimo Choices!


For those of you who have read my short and sweet blog, you know that I am prepping for NaNoWriMo. Honestly, I have still never hit the 50,000 word goal in a month. However, I will be prepared for November 1st for my intial installment of 1,667 words, but probably more like 2500 words, as that will be my daily goal for November. I have my first book idea and will be divulging it as I settle my second book idea. Then, I will blog it and let the people vote! All five of you!

To outline the story, I will use the 7-point story structure that author Dan Wells (of Writing Excuses) talks about here. It is a great balance of structure and creative and keeps me focused without making me feel stifled. I highly recommend it.

I have been truckin' along nicely with Sky Rift. I am expanding the way the story is to give a view of what is actually happening in the rest of the world at the time, and not just the alternate American west during Civil War times. I am adding some baddies that will also be part of the bigger world in general. I really want to make the American west what it really was: A high carnival for a world of opportunists and risk-takers. Also, I really want to write it with the discovery viewpoint that is outlined in the book 1421 by Gavin Menzies. It is believed that the Ming Dynasty actually discovered the American continent well before ol' Cristoforo Columbo. So, I'm building it from there. What if the Chinese stayed? Even expanded in what is now California? Throw in a little fantasy, some steam and gearpunk, and viola! A novella o' fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment