Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Silver Bullet to Put Down Wild Ideas

Hollywood does weird western and steampunk poorly. I love the genre's, but the best things that we have are Wild, Wild West and Cowboys and Aliens. The Lone Ranger, I thought, was going to change that. But, alas, it was for not.

It was the last one that I want to discuss, however. It was the Lone Ranger (not the movie), that really fueled the steam engine between my ears regarding an American west milieu. A thought nagged at me about 10 years ago.
Why would the Lone Ranger use silver bullets, if not for werewolves? 
After that, it was all I could do to keep from building that world. Unfortunately, I had overlooked the whole Copyright infringement thing. But, instead of burying my ideas in a shallow, unmarked slush pile, I reinvented the whole idea, and viola! Brimstone Deep was born. Obviously, this short story is not the whole story. But, I certainly wanted to gauge the reaction and interest that many might have to the western fantasy with yours truly at the helm. There have been enough encouraging words that I getting ready to release more from that world. Tentatively, the book will be called SkyGate SkyRift.

Anyway, I am going to write a workable script for Brimstone Deep and see if it might be possible to market it, as I do have a few avenues through which I can.

I feel like I've stretched my fingers now. Back to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment