Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bathroom Humor and Zombie Plague

Inspiration for my writing comes in many places and forms, but here are my Top Five:

  1. History Podcasts. One in particular that I should mention is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. History already feeds my imagination, but HH brings out a voice that seems to adhere some of my wackier thought processes to actual truths. The possibilities...
  2. Lectures. It does not matter what it's about, really. Anything to which I was ignorant prior. Sometimes it is simply a word or phrase to which I'm exposed. A vague concept or theory can be the skeleton of an entire idea or setting for a book. Our words become worlds.
  3. Dictionary. Oh, yes. A good, old-fashioned dictionary, with phonetic spellings, rich etymologies, and definitions galore are the malleable ingredients of the wordsmith, world builder and word nerd alike. At least this word nerd.
  4. Bathroom. Ahem. This is the writer-king's porcelain palace of plot practice. It has a throne and everything. Go ahead. Say it. Say, "He gets all his ideas on the toilet." I don't care.
  5. My kids. They have the imagination energy of a thousand suns. It pays to listen to your kids. Especially mine. They must get it from their mom.
For a story that I'm outlining, I wanted to use the plague idea, but found that it was coming too close to the zombie plague. Sure, I could do it. Yeah, it's hip. But, as much as I love the idea of using a zombie plague, "I'm not gonna." I need something else to chase my protagonist across otherwise foolish landscapes and corner my heroes into a noble fight. There are lots of great writer's who do this well. I would rather read them than write it, frankly. By the way, the plague that I was playing with was one that turned human flesh into mechanized, clockwork copper. I think I could even make it work. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board. Or bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment