Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I Like People

I hope I am good student.

I feel as though I miss people on a fairly basic level. Try as I might to pay attention, my brain chases rabbits through the details of a person's story, often times missing the underlying heart of the matter. Sometimes it is because I feel that I already know what they are going to say and they tell it too slowly. Agonizingly. Other times, because they tell it so briefly or without emphasis on anything I care about, I attache little emotional value to it. Also, I have an 'emotional detachment defense mechanism' that is initiated when someone is too sad or comes across as too emotionally needy. This EDDM has really come in handy at times. But, because I deal with actual people with real feelings, this EDDM should be used sparingly, so that I can respond with honor and compassion for their needs. Why bring this up?

In writing, I realize that an engrossing story is driven by people, their decisions, and other people's reaction to and proactivity regarding those decisions. To write people, I need to read people, so to speak. Emotionally, I need to find the place where I can just let people be people and see their intrinsic value in who they are despite their offensive choices. And stay connected. In writing, I need to write people with an effect to keep them in the story.

So we'll see. Is the heinous bad guy worth redeeming? Is the boring milquetoast character at very least a part of an interesting story? Is a hero allowed to fail and fail and fail and still allowed to be the hero?

Whatever.

If you like what I'm doing please consider a 'like' for my Facebook authors page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment